Monday 9 March 2009

Glowing Praise


I feel depressed reading it, because the writer is a fool.

It's Will Self's dumber cousin. What a pile of pretentious posing. Nothing on that website has any quality to it - the thesis in particular is a mediocre masterpiece of saying nothing at great length while dropping names.

About the only thing you learn from that piece is that the writer's clearly a middle class twit who hasn't been out of Chelsea, and is determined to try and make other snobs laugh at 'these poor people', hidden under a veil of public-school writing technique lacking any kind of finesse and a curious, adjectivally-induced sense of boredom.

Bimey, what a pile of wank. I like the photos but anyone who uses the awful neologism, 'hauntogeography' deserves to have their face slapped with a plank. There are actually some good points struggling to extricate themselves from the psychogeographic slurry, but I couldn't be bothered.


Ouch!

9 comments:

owen hatherley said...

I don't know why you're dignifying this by putting it up - there's no hint in your post of 'snobbery' towards 'poor people'. The comments on that thread are predictable anti-intellectual cuntishness with added tedious pedantry. Fuck 'em.

Murphy said...

It's because I obviously feel flattered, and a bit special...

It's funny - and telling - that I'm accused of the same 'name dropping' that I've bemoaned in the post below. Perhaps this suggests that I need to deal with my issues of proprietoriousness?

Dominic said...

Hauntogeography. Hauntogeography, hauntogeography, hauntogeography.

Xolas O Lobo said...

They're just upset that you weren't on a bike.

Webetiquette or the significance of particular forums is not something I particularly get, but Cycle Chat? I wouldn't even listen to their opinion on Shimano brakes (or other subjects of conversion at school I never got).

Dominic said...

Cyclists who are also cunts? What a truly remarkable coincidence.

owen hatherley said...

I must say I was amused by how much more pedantic, self-righteous and cuntish the cyclists' forum was compared to the housing crash forum which also linked the post...

Charles Holland said...

Couldn't leave a comment on your blog the other day so I'm leaving one now. Congratulations on the guardian listing, especially as it has introduced you to the militant cyclist fraternity!

ECW said...

As a militant cyclist who plans to storm the White House on a velocipede, let me apologize for all of us out there who aren't cunts.

steve said...

This critic is a twat. Are you public school though? So what, I guess. Anyway, your blog's great and if people haven't got the imagination, well fuck em so what. I can understand you enjoying it though.